Based in Hamilton and servicing Waikato, the Bay of Plenty and the Coromandel

Why insulate your home?

Many older New Zealand homes don't have adequate insulation because there were no standards for insulation when they were built. Often they only have ceiling insulation with no wall insulation or underfloor insulation.

This means there are gaps in your home's thermal barrier, making it harder to keep warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

In summer, when the air is hot outside, it tries to get inside your home. In winter, when the air is cold outside, the warm air from inside your home tries to escape. Generally, the roof is the first place this happens, then the walls and windows and then the floor. By insulating each of these areas, you can improve your home's thermal envelope and reduce heat transfer.

An insulated house is more comfortable year-round and is also easier to heat in winter, reducing your energy bills and reducing the risk of damp, condensation and mould, which can cause health issues.

It can be hard to tell how well your home is insulated. but some comon signs that you have poor insuatlnio are:

  • A struggle with heat and humidity in the summer - especially in homes with metal roofs.
  • Condensation on your windows in the mornings or carpets that feel damp.
  • Draughts around your home, particularly near external walls.
  • Cold floorboards - especially in homes built on sloping sections
  • Evidence of mice or bugs that might have damaged the insulation.
If you notice any of these signs regularly, give us a call, and we can come and assess your home and recommend any improvements. As experienced insulation installers, we can recommend the best solutions and products for your home. We work with customers across Waikato and the Bay of Plenty.

blow in ceiling insulation hamilton acoustic insulation hamilton underfloor insulation hamilton

Frequently asked questions about insulation

What does the R-Value mean?When you are talking about insulation, you might hear the term R-value a lot. An R-value is a measurement of the thermal resistance of a material or product. So an R-value tells you how effective insulation is at stopping heat transfer. The higher the R-value number, the better the insulation is at slowing heat transfer. Many older homes do not have insulation at all or have products with low R-values. for example an uninsulated floor will have an R-value of around 0.6, which can be improved to R1.6 or R1.8 with a good polyester blanket insulation system correctly fixed against the floor. If your insulation has deteriorated over time, the R-value may also have lowered.

From 2022 all new builds must have insulation with certain R-values to meet building standards. If your home has been built recently, the R-values will likely be noted on the plans. For older homes, we can come and assess your home and inspect any insulation currently installed and recommend improvements for you.
What different types of insulation are there?There are three popular types of insulation

Batts or segments - This is the traditional type of insulation that features in most older homes. Made from fibreglass or mineral wool, they come in rolls or pre-cut sizes. They are quick and easy to install, especially during a new build when the framing is up and before the linings are put on. But they are harder to retrofit because the wall linings need to be removed. Batts insulation generally has lower R-values than other forms of insulation. It can also be harder to get a precise fit, especially around pipework and light fittings, leaving gaps for draughts.

Spray foam insulation - This was widely used in the 80s and 90s. It. is made of polyurethane foam which is sprayed into a cavity and expands to fill cracks and voids. It is good because it fills gaps tightly creating a well-sealed thermal envelope. But it is tricky to install and means you need to remove all internal wall linings. It can also damage your home's framing if not installed correctly. the foam can also contain chemicals which can cause or exacerbate respiratory issues. Most installers no longer use spray foam.

Blown loose-fill insulation Blown loose-fill insulation is a better alternative to spray foam. Blow in insulation is a dry-fibre product which is blown into cavities and then fills the gaps and voids. It creates tight seals and fills spaces completely creating good thermal resistance. Because of the way the product is made, there is no need to remove wall linings. Blow insulation can be blown in through small holes, either through internal walls or via external walls and cladding. The product does not contain any harmful chemicals. Insultech Insulation recommends blow in insulation for walls and ceilings.
Can I get funding for my insulation?In the past the Government has provided funding to help with insulation for some people, however this fund is not guaranteed. Some of the major banks offer loans to help with insulation and heating. These include:

Only available to people who have a home loan with ANZ, this is a top-up low-interest loan which provides extra funding for improving insulation or heating.

Available to Westpac customers this is an interest-free loan which can be used for insulation or heating such as heat pumps or wood burners.

An Interest-Free Loan
Insultech Insulation has with Q-Card and can provide low-interest finance options. Contact us to find out more.
Contact Us